Monday, July 12, 2010

Does your windshield need washing?

As I was driving down the road yesterday I noticed that my windshield was getting rather dirty. It was harder for me to see the road with the sun shining on all the dirt and filth on the windshield. I knew everything would be so much better if I washed it, but I was busy and in a hurry to get somewhere. I didn't end up washing it. So, I have been thinking about windshield washing. If I would have washed my windshield before I left, I would have been able to see everything clearly, how it really was. When a windshield is dirty it changes the way you see everything on the outside. What really is pure and clean may look blurry, dirty, or unappealing when looking through a dirty windshield. It isn't because everything outside is dirty, it is the way you are looking at it. You may perceive what you see to be different than it truly is. I want to apply a spiritual aspect to the subject: How do you view the church? How do you see your pastor? What do you think of his instruction and guidelines? What do you think of your elders? If you see everything as a bunch of rules, no fun, and people just telling you what to do because they can - you might want to wash your windshield. It's not what you're looking at that is dirty, it's your windshield! When things aren't clean in your life and you don't have a walk with God, you may start viewing what is pure and clean to be "dirty." Not dirty in a sinful way, but dirty as in you don't like what you see. Is the church unappealing to you? If so, you may need to consider your life's "windshield." Perspective is important. When sin is reigning in your life, your perspective will be off and you won't even know it. If you're unhappy with your pastor or church guidelines, (which are for your own spiritual safety and salvation) try searching yourself and your heart first. Wash your windshield with repentance, prayer, and Bible reading, and look again.

3 comments:

Carol Connell said...

Wonderful post, Jen. Perspective really is important, and now I'm feeling really convicted about driving around with my dirty windshield. I've needed to clean it for about a week now.

Kathy McElhaney said...

Our windshield got SO dirty this weekend driving to and from Lake Tahoe! It definitely changes your perspective. Great post!

Jennifer Connell said...

Mom - Thank you. I think I need to get my whole car washed. lol

Sis. McElhaney - It sure does make it a whole lot harder to see things clearly, that's for sure! Thank you for your comment! God Bless!