Monday, November 7, 2011

Being Content

I read a verse the other day that I have read multiple times before, but it seemed to jump out at me this time.

1Ti 6:6 But godliness with contentment is great gain.

I don't know if this happens to anyone else, but I do happen to find myself from time to time not being content where I am at in life. I know that can be a good thing if we are not where we need to be, but sometimes it is not a good thing. Elder Morton says "The will of God is the present task." Sometimes we can get so focused on the future and where we want to be, that we forget what is going on right now! "Right now" is the future we once looked forward to. If we want to be successful at living for God, somewhere along the line we must learn to be content. Things will not always be perfect, and there will be things we simply must wait for. We will get where we want to be if we keep living for the Lord and take it one day at a time. Jesus said "In your patience possess ye your souls." (Luke 21:19)

The apostle Paul was a man who went through all kinds of things as he did the work of God. He was thrown in jail, shipwrecked, etc., but he stood strong. The state he was in was not always a good one, but there was something about Paul's spirit that kept him going. What was the key to his success? Paul wrote this in Philippians 4:11 -

"Not that I speak in respect of want: for I have learned, in whatsoever state I am, therewith to be content."

Godliness with contentment really is great gain! When we become discontent, we can lose focus of the present will of God, because we began looking for something else. Let's work for God, and be content!

4 comments:

Carol Connell said...

Great post, Jen. Lord, help me to be content in whatever state I am in, even if it's not California. LOL, I'm just messing.

Cassie Savala said...

This is a tremendous post. Love the Word of God!!!

Jennifer Connell said...

Thanks Cassie! I love the Word of God too! Aww loved getting a comment from you! Don't forget to call me sometime. ;)

Cassie Savala said...

I will do my best. Love you much. Cassie:?

This is my personal smiley face!!:?