Wednesday, December 16, 2015

Unknowingly Blind

"I almost cried," he said, "when I realized how much I had been missing."

"Wow!" she exclaimed. "I didn't even know what I was missing!"

Having had two recent conversations with different guests at our home about glasses, I have done some thinking. A minister was telling us about how when he first got glasses and put them on he almost cried, simply because he didn't realize how much he had been missing - and now, he could see. Almost like a revelation!

As a kid and growing up, I always had good vision and didn't have any problems. Until recently, that is. One of the companies that my company is associated with placed certain requirements on us who are working directly with clients, so I was informed I needed to get a physical done, TB test, blah blah. So, I drove to a clinic to get this taken care of. As we were going through standard procedure and I was following the medical assistant around and doing what she told me to do, we got to the eye exam part of the physical. She checked my peripheral, which seemed fine, then asked me which row I could read the letters on the chart to her from a distance. I had always been able to read the really tiny ones before, so that's what I told her I would do, and started reading them to her.

"Try going up a row." I had apparently not read them correctly. After having been confident in my vision abilities, it was almost embarrassing after I had to go up multiple rows before I even got it right! I believe this is when it started to dawn on me that I might not be able to see as good as I thought I could! Then I started noticing when driving that I had trouble with distant street signs, seeing at night, etc. Long story short: I went to the eye doctor and got a prescription, and now I have glasses. I don't have extremely bad vision, but I did not realize that my vision is warped in some areas! Once I started wearing glasses I would take them off and totally notice the difference! Yet, I couldn't really even tell that much was wrong before that. The other night my dad mentioned how he thought he could see good until he got his glasses... and now he can see so much better!

Isn't it funny how a lot of people think they can see when they really could see so much better if they just looked through the right lenses? They have no idea! Sadly, it's the same way with many spiritually. There are so many people that are blind to what is going on in the spiritual world. The natural is merely a reflection of it. War, rumors of war, famine, pestilence... reflect the spiritual battle raging in the last days. When people come to God, they begin to realize just how blind they were!

2 Corinthians 4:3 says, "But if our gospel be hid, it is hid to them that are lost:"
2 Corinthians 3:14 speaks of those that were blind in their minds. Yes - your mind can be blind.
What about this one?
2 Corinthians 4:4 -  "In whom the god of this world hath blinded the minds of them which believe not, lest the light of the glorious gospel of Christ, who is the image of God, should shine unto them. "

 I'm thankful that God opened my eyes spiritually. I'm thankful to know the truth. 

Maybe you're somebody who thinks they can see just fine, but you don't know just how blind you really are. God wants to open your eyes to the truth about salvation. He wants to show you things you have never seen before. Do you think that you can see just fine? Do you think that you and God are alright? If you haven't obeyed His Word - obeying the Gospel by repenting of your sins, being baptized in Jesus' Name and being filled with the Holy Ghost, there are things that God wants to show. There is more for you! God wants to give you clarity of mind. It's so important that we are sure of our salvation and do things the Bible way. If you do this, my friend... You will see like you have never seen before!

4 comments:

R. Keith Nix said...

Excellent! And thought-provoking...

Jennifer Connell said...

Thanks for the comment. I'm glad you were able to see what I was saying...get it... heh heh.

Unknown said...

Dear Jen,

I remember too when I first got glasses. I was 20 years old. As I stepped outside with my new specs on, I saw all the fine details of the trees, their leaves, the flowers. Everything looked so beautiful! I didn't realize my perception had dimmed. As a new born-again believer, my thought on this inevitably turned to the spiritual aspect. And I thanked the Lord Jesus for opening my blind spiritual eyes when I was baptized in His lovely name and filled with His Holy Spirit! What a transformation He wrought in me 37 years ago! I'm so thankful this is not a one-time experience. Through prayer, reading God's word, anointed preaching messages, and a heart surrendered to the Lord, our eyes can continually be opened more and more. My constant prayer is "Dear Jesus, please open my spiritual eyes that I might see you more clearly".

Awesome post, my dear niece. I love you.

Auntie Kiki 😍

Jennifer Connell said...

Thank you for sharing that! I love you and I am thankful that God has worked in our family. God is so good!