Saturday, June 12, 2010

Words

"The difference between a word and the right word is like the difference between lightning and a lightning bug."

Words can be so very powerful, spoken or written. Words can hurt, offend, encourage, sadden, and cheer. Sometimes we don't think before we speak! (Dangerous) I want the words that I write and the words that I speak to be words pleasing to God. I want to encourage others! I want to witness to others. Proverbs 25:11 says "A word fitly spoken is like apples of gold in pictures of silver." Saying the right thing at the right time can do a lot of good. What you say can make a difference in somebody's life. Encouraging and witnessing to people are good uses of words! Words are SO important! Pro 15:23- "A man hath joy by the answer of his mouth: and a word spoken in due season, how good is it!" So we understand that the words we say are important and can deeply affect others. However, there is a flip side to this: Our reaction to the words spoken to us. If someone says something hurtful, do we forgive them? If someone makes false accusations do we stand up for what is right? If someone in authority tells us to do something, do we listen? We should! The most important of all is the Word of God. The Bible is God's Word, and it is our duty to obey it and keep God's commandments. The Word of God is life and Salvation unto those who obey it and trust in it! We could not be saved if it were not for the preaching of the word. The Bible talks about those who stumble at the word of God: 1Pe 2:8 "And a stone of stumbling, and a rock of offence, even to them which stumble at the word, being disobedient: whereunto also they were appointed." I don't ever want to stumble at God's word! I want to obey it. His word is a lamp unto our feet and a light unto our path. It will lead us and guide us through the things that life may bring us. We need to have a desire for the Word of God! We should long to hear it preached! 1Pe 2:2-3 "As newborn babes, desire the sincere milk of the word, that ye may grow thereby: If so be ye have tasted that the Lord is gracious. " God's Word is what will get us to heaven. It us up to us to obey it and apply it to our lives. God's Word will last forever and ever....

1Pe 1:25 - But the word of the Lord endureth for ever. And this is the word which by the gospel is preached unto you.

4 comments:

DeadMule said...

Hi Jen. I can read your blog again. Yea!!

Jennifer Connell said...

LOL Yay! You can leave me more comments too!

Carol Connell said...

Excellent post, Jen! In high school, I memorized a short poem by
Emily Dickinson about words.

"A word is dead
when it is said,
some say.
I say it just begins
to live that day."

Our words can really make or break people. I've heard parents before out in public tell their kids that they are stupid, and my heart breaks for them.

I want to be careful about the words I use, and most of all I want to have a deeper love for the Word of God, the Bible.

Love ya, daughter.
Write on!

Jennifer Connell said...

I've heard that poem before. I've also heard people talk abou their kids like that right in front of them out in public. It's so sad. And they wonder why their kids act the way they do. Words are important..