Psalm 103:1-5 says "BLESS the LORD, O my soul: and all that is within me, bless his holy name. Bless the LORD, O my soul, and forget not all his benefits: Who forgiveth all thine iniquites; who healeth all thy diseases; Who redeemeth thy life from destruction; who crowneth thee with lovingkindness and tender mercies; Who satisfieth thy mouth with good things; so that thy youth is renewed like the eagle's."
David is speaking to his soul and telling it to bless the Lord and to not forget the benefits that come with serving God! How can we forget the benefits? This is how: When we get too focused on the things in life that get us down. Trials will come and if we are not careful, we can become weary in well doing.
Galatians 6:9 says "And let us not be weary in well doing: for in due season we shall reap, if we faint not."
The children of Israel had God's favor and his benefits. The gentiles could not get what the children of Israel could get. Their benefits must have looked so good and seemed so amazing to the gentiles. Why would the children of Israel murmur and complain after God had promised them so much? They got weary and impatient and caught up in other things.
Just a few of their benefits listed:
- Heard them, remembered them, and had respect unto them. (Exodus 2:23-25)
- Said he would smite their enemy with his wonders and afterward the enemy would let them go. (Exodus 3:20)
- Promised to passover their houses when He saw the blood so that they would not be destroyed. He saved them. (Exodus 12:13)
- Told them He would fight for them. (Exodus 14:14)
- Promised if they would do that which was right in His sight, give ear to His commandments, and keep all His statutes, that He would put no diseases on them, "For I am the LORD that healeth thee." (Exodus: 15:26)
Look how good they had it! We was their protector and provider and He heard them and fought their battles! The children of Israel represent the Church today, and the gentiles represent the world. We have God's benefits, blessing, promises and love, and the world is wishing they had it. It's time to stop living under our benefits. We need to take hold of what Jesus has for us and show the world that they can have it too. It's high time.