Friday, October 9, 2020

Picture Post: Honduras

 As I've mentioned in a previous post, I've been to Honduras 3 times in just a little over the space of one year. The last time I went was just this year in January, and the time before that was last year in May. I have some pictures I would like to share, and I believe most of these are from the January trip. This year it was a highlight to not only have my whole family go to Honduras, but also my good friend, Courtney. I usually stay at the Schreckhise's house, but this time Courtney and I stayed at one of the little, colorful "cabins" with my parents. 

The path we walked down to get to our cabin was so pretty and tropical looking! Pretty plants, cute cabins, and yes -- bugs.

Our little purple house was cute. Court and I shared the room on the left side, and my parents took the room on the right. I believe my parent's room was painted a turquoise color, while mine and Courtney's room was purple, close to the shade of the outside of the house. I heard that certain cells in prisons are painted pink and purple to help calm individuals who have escalated emotions. This is because these colors are known to have calming effects. I believe it -- our room was SO calming and peaceful!
After we got there and headed to the Schreckhise's house, we all ate there and hung out, although we were totally exhausted from traveling that day. This is Francis, their adopted daughter. She has such a sweet spirit! I love this girl!
Sarah Schreckhise, Francis, and I at the campground. You can read more about Honduras on Sarah's blog, entitled "Grace in Honduras." It's on my sidebar -- check it out!
This is the campground where they host their camps and conferences! Good memories at this place!  

Every time I'm in Honduras, the hunger of the people is evident. They just keep on going. Many times pre-service prayer just goes on and on, with people being filled with the Holy Ghost and getting renewed before song service or preaching. 



Children's church in Honduras is so fun! The Scrheckhise family does a fantastic job with Sunday School and children's church. They bus in TONS of kids and work so hard to create meaningful lessons and props, and everything is saturated in prayer.


Allana Schreckhise, my sweet, talented, beautiful, dedicated, hardworking friend! She is a gem!



So many precious little kiddos! And Charity Schreckhise (pink dress) just LOVES the babies! 
I'm not supposed to have favorites, but Isaac is one of my favorite kiddos! He has an adorable voice and infectious smile and is so smart and talented. God's hand is already upon this little one.
Courtney and Charity
Charity and Isaac's younger brother, Matias.
Funny story about the picture above. The owner of the cabin had gone in to do some cleaning while we were out, and if I remember right, she locked the door but not the screen door. Well, apparently the key we had was for the screen door and not the white door, so when we arrived back at the cabin sometime around midnight, we found we were locked out. But, we didn't realize that and thought that the lock had broken, because the knob had actually been loose. I was able to get a hold of one of the Schreckhises who then called down to get a hold of some people on the grounds where we were staying. My dad was like, "I NEED TO USE THE BATHROOM!" Nothing like being locked out with a full bladder! Ha! We sat there on the porch with the hungry mosquitoes, waiting. These guys showed up with a kitchen knife. LOL The man in the blue shirt thought Courtney was my aunt (we look NOTHING alike), so I asked him how old he thought Courtney was, and after thinking a minute he said, "forty-five." We fell out laughing - all except for Courtney, that is, who gasped in horror and stared at the man. I should also mention that this man in blue used the kitchen knife to scratch his toes in front of us, and I think his face, too. After about 30 minutes, we were finally able to get back inside. It was quite the memorable evening.
Just a view of a random street ....just 'cause.
This is my brother, Paul, along with 2 of the Schreckhise boys, Nathaniel and Josiah. They have some similar features and some people think they look alike, so they swapped hats and all posed this way as I took a picture. I posted it on the photostream for our trip and asked people to guess who was who. The guesses were hilarious! Most people got it wrong, including my parents. And just so you know, from left to right is Nathaniel, Paul, and Josiah.

**Update after this post was published -- it's actually Nathaniel, Josiah, and then Paul. They look so much alike posing this way that I got it wrong even though I already knew the answer. LOL 
Some tasty food provided by the awesome saints at the campground before service!
The first time I went to Honduras back in 2016, I met some neighbors of the Schreckhises and have since developed a friendship with them. The mother's name is Merary, and she has 3 kids - a daughter and 2 sons. Both of her sons are Autistic, but the older one faces more challenges than the younger. I work as an RBT with kids on the Autism Spectrum, so we hit it off! Every time I go, I always make it a point to visit them. This is me with the youngest son, Gabriel. 
And lastly, this is Paul and Josiah pulling some last-minute shenanigans at the airport before we headed to Peru, which I wrote about a few posts back. I hope you enjoyed, and remember to keep Honduras in your prayers!

4 comments:

Kathy McElhaney said...

Love this post. There's always adventure on a missions trip!

Jennifer Connell said...

That is a true statement! I've done about 9 missions trips and I believe every single one involved some sort of adventure -- most of them not planned! lol Thanks for reading and commenting!

Abner Garcia said...

Amo a la familia Schreckhise y la obra de Dios en Honduras.

Me encantó este post, gracias por compartirlo.

Jennifer Connell said...

Yo tambien - amo a la familia Schreckhise! Son de bendicion en mi vida. Gracias por leer!