Tuesday, September 4, 2012

Kids are Important.

Today I got to thinking back to something that happened a few years ago in our local area. During this time I was working at one of those little self-serve frozen yogurt spots. I remembered our regular and even not-so-regular customers that would come in to buy yogurt. There was a couple that would come in often enough for me to remember them, sometimes just the man by himself. I never really talked to them much, they were on the quiet side, but I used to ring them up - they would get their yogurt to go most of the time as I recall.  One day it came out on the news that a girl who had been kidnapped from Lake Tahoe, CA, many years ago was found and rescued in Antioch, CA, from the backyard of Philip Garrido - her kidnapper. He had locked her up for years and raped her. She was a mother of 2 children because of this. He kept her in his backyard for years and controlled her life.  Everybody felt so terrible for her, and yet they were so happy for her to be free from the slavery she had been in. Philip and his wife, Nancy Garrido were the couple that used to come in to my yogurt shop. I had seen them many times and never thought anything strange about them. When I heard this story and saw the article online, I couldn't have been more shocked to see the picture of one of my customers. "HE did THAT?! I've been dealing with him this whole time and never knew about all of the things he had done to this poor girl and to other women?!" It was quite a shock to me. At times I worked by myself. I would think how it could have been me as a victim. Every once in a while I think back to this shocking discovery. Today I was thinking about it and looked up the Garridos and Jaycee Dugard, the girl who was held captive most of her youth. I saw some pictures of Philip when he was a child and it broke my heart. Such promise, such potential in a child's face. 
 Unfortunately, many children are never introduced to God and come from homes of neglect and abuse. I wonder about those who are labeled as drug addicts, convicted felons, homeless, criminals, etc. What is their story? What could have been different if somebody would have taken the time to invest in their life and tell them about God's love and His plan for their life? Kids are so important.
                                                                   Philip Garrido as a kid

Such potential looking at this young boy's face. I see so many kids running around all the time and I wonder what will become of them. There is such a soft spot in my heart for kids, knowing they WILL become something, and what they become is mainly a result of their childhood. Kids are important.
                                                       Criminal Philip Garrido on trial

It breaks my heart to see the difference between the 2 pictures. What could have been avoided? What influences came his way to lead him in the direction he went? People don't start off like this, there are numerous things that happen to them when the are young - influences, circumstances, neglect, etc. When people don't have the Holy Ghost, (God's Spirit living inside of them) demonic spirits can and will influence them. When you look at a child, don't see them as a nuisance. They are a soul, they are the future, and what they become may depend upon YOU. You as a parent, grandparent, brother, sister, friend, or maybe even stranger. I love seeing kids come to God before their teenage years. What a difference it makes!
I challenge you today to make a difference in the life of a child. Pray for them, show them you care, spend time with them, teach them about the love of Jesus. Kids are important.

7 comments:

Anali V said...

That is so freaky that you served them! And it's interesting you posted this today because my mom and I were just talking about that case.

And kids really are important..

Kathy McElhaney said...

Wow! Very thought provoking post, Jen.

Hanna said...

That is so true; and what a tremendous responsibility we have as the hands and feet of God! Awesome post Jen, everyone should read this!

Jennifer Connell said...

Thank you for your comments!

The Bundys said...

Hi Miss Jennifer!

Thought I would leave a comment since you leave one on mine every now and then!

This post definitely stopped my attention. As an Education major, I could not agree more. WOW. What a tremendous responsibility this will be. Influencing a child is a job that none of us should take lightly.

Thank you for this post. It really make me stop and really thing about my responsibility again. Very good post!

- Brittany

P.S. I'm glad your dad enjoyed ADMIT. You should come with him in years to come!

The Bundys said...

BTW...I read Jacyee Duggard's book a little while back. It is horrible and heart-wrenching. I can't even imagine being in such a situation. Extremely sad.

Jennifer Connell said...

Hi Brittany,

Thanks for commenting! I do enjoy stopping by your blog every now and then and noticed we know a lot of the same people. :) I'd love to come to ADMIT next year with my dad if I can! It just hasn't been possible in the past.

I'm glad you enjoyed my post and it's good to know another Apostolic is working with kids and being a good influence! I work with kids and they are sooo important. Such potential that will either be used or thrown away. Thanks again for reading!